Grandparent's Day Special Supplement





     Lola letters - Grandparents Day Special Supplement


Dear Apo,

I look at your hands and marvel at how smooth and chubby and soft they are as against mine which are wrinkled gnarled , bony and my veins are protruding like a major highway network was built on top of my hands.

Yet, I beam at the trust you have seemingly imparted on me by clutching at my hands all the time- when you feel like getting lost. When you are afraid when you need comforting and most of all when you just needed to feel that you are loved.

How can I even let go of your hands dear child, when all I want to do is to hold them forever? I have loved you on the very day your mother and father showed me  bad picture of you, it's black and white and was taken from the womb. There you were like a pea, your cord securely attached to your mother and I cried at the beauty of your creation I couldn't have loved anyone as much as I love you at that moment.

And when you were born , looking like a replica of your father, I couldn't help but love you ten times more I guess there is just no limit to loving you. Every strand of hair that grew on your head , your teeth that appeared one after the other , every smile, every cry , every crawl every whimper I saw them all and loved them all.

When you became sick, I doubled over in pain I prayed to God to give me your sickness your fever , everything ! Please just spare my grandchild. I'd leave your grandfather to fend for himself for few days so I could take care of you and give you my own brand of healing- a vinegar bath, oregano concoction for your cough and cold and watching over you like a hawk.

Being with you holding you in my arms gives me so much comfort and joy when we are together like this, there's that built in camera in my head snapping away storing our memories together until Alzheimer disease sets in and destroys my data base.

I know the day will come when our memories when our memories will become obliterated because of Alzheimer's but before that day comes, I want you to know that you are the child of my heart and I love you very much.

I thought it wasn't possible but I know this to be true, grandparents love their grandchildren more than they do their children. This is not to say that I love your father less. He will always be my golden boy but you will always be my sun, my rainbow my treasure.

Child, I wish I can stay with you forever. But I can't, Doctor's told me today that like termites eating away at my brain the initial stages of Alzheimer's have set in. One day, I will remember nothing . I might not even recognize you. Forgive me when I don't .

From the doctor's clinic after hearing what I felt was a death knell , here I sat my wuthered hands shaking but i needed to write this so you will know and forgive me when the day comes when I will hardly recognize you.

Please don't get hurt when that happens my dear child, just keep on reminding me, just keep on telling me , just keep on talking to me. I wish Ian see you become a doctor (which I wish for you) and marry the woman of your dreams. I wish to be a presence in your life that provide you with so much comfort and love as you have been to mine.

When I am gone, please don't be sad I shall be watching over you. And like before we shall kick together that neighborhood bully run after your enemies with a stick. Dance in the rain, eat jack fruit together and go shopping together.

As I have led you when you were little holding on to your hands tightly I know you will do the same to in my old age. This is why I can't help but marvel at your tiny hands, clasped onto mine for when our role are reversed I shall be holding on to your for dear life.

I  love you forever Apo ...

                                                                       
                                                                                                                           Lola




DEAR LOLA,

NANDITO PO AKO SA MAYNILA! SO EXCITED TO BE HERE AND START MY FIRST DAY OF COLLEGE NEXT WEEK.IBANG IBA PO PALA TALAGA ANG BUHAY DITO SA CITY. MAGULO NA MASAYA. ANG DAMI-DAMING NANGYAYARI. NAKAKALITO PERO NAKAKATUWA.

ILANG ARAW PA LANG AKO DITO PERO I MISS OUR QUIET LITTLE TOWN ALREADY. i MISS MAMA AND PAPA AND KUYA AND ATE. BUT MOST OF ALL , I MISS YOU LOLA. I MISS YOUR HUGS AND THE WAY YOU BRUSH MY HAIR BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP. I MISS OUR LITTLE TALKS IN THE AFTERNOON WHEN I COME HOME FROM SCHOOL. AND I MISS YOUR COOKING.WALANG TATALO SA BIKO AT BIBINGKA MO, LOLA! ANG MGA KAKANIN DITO SA MAYNILA AY PURO HARINA, HINDI PAPASA ITO SA'YO. MATATABANG LAHAT AT DI NALAGYAN NG PAGMAMAHAL TULAD NG GAWA MO,

NAALALA KO TULOY LAHAT NG MGA BILIN MO SA AKIN, ESPECIALLY THE ONE ABOUT GIVING 100% TO EVERYTHING I DO. YOU SAID THAT TALENT IS NOT ENOUGH, THAT TO SUCCEED IN LIFE, ONE HAS TO HAVE THE PASSION AND DETERMINATION TO DO THE WORK. AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY ALSO. KASI KAHIT ANONG EFFORT ANG GAWIN KO KUNG HINDI NAMAN TAMA ANG PARAAM IT'S AN EMPY VICTORY.

YOU HAVE TAUGHT ME THE VALUES OF HONESTY AND HARD WORK. I AM NOT AFRAID TO DO THAT AND GIVE IT MY BEST. I AM JUST ABOUT TO START MY COLLEGE YEARS AND I MUST ADMIT THAT I AM NERVOUS.IT'A DIFFERENT WORLD HERE , LOLA. I MAY NOT BE TOTALLY ALOBE BECAUSE I HAVE RELATIVES HERE, BUT I AM ON MY OWN. I HAVE TO MAKE DECISIONS BY MYSELF. MABUTI NA LANG TINURUAN MO AKO NG TAMA.

NEXT WEEK, UUWI SI TITA FOR VACATION. MAY IPAPADALA AKO SA INYO NA GALING DITO SA MANILA. MALIIT NA BAGAY ANG ITO BUT I HOPE YOU WILL ENJOY THEM. ISIPIN MO NA LANG NA PARANG NANDYAN NA DIN AKO.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, LOLA. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE MEDICINE REGULARLY AND EXERCISE KA DIN NAMAN, MAGLAKAD LAKAD KA LANG SA LOOB NG BAKURAN NATIN PARA MABANAT ANG BUTO BUTO MO (HEHEHE).AND IF YOU NEED ME, ISANG TAWAG LANG AKO. I LOVE YOU LOLA. I'M HUGGING YOU RIGHT NOW. GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS!



                                                                                                              NAGMAMAHAL
                                                                                                               YOUR APO




Bloggers note:
I have read from a Philippine newspaper and I can't remember which one, I was moved by the story on the sacrifices of grandparents to their grandchild. I am posting this to honor the grandparents.

Comments